Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Nikon Cake



I always wanted to make a camera cake for my hubby,  a professional photographer, but feared it would not be my best ever cake, as I don't like to work with black fondant, besides having to carve the cake to look like a camera. 

Reena Martins a good friend, had sent me a tutorial on making the camera cake which I had saved for reference knowing that one day I would make the cake. 

The day came and weeks before that I started preparing myself to build the cake. I figured out that a dense cake would work best for the carving needed and hence baked a marbled mud cake, a favorite  of Cajie's. I baked an 8" square for the body of the camera and a small 2" round for the lens. 

While the cakes were cooling on the kitchen counter, the house was filled with the aroma from the cakes. Later that day I found one fourth of the small round cake eaten. Oh!!!! Now what, looks like the birthday boy wanted to sample his birthday cake... And we had no choice but to keep quiet so as not to let out our surprise.  I had to bake the 2" round cake for the lens which I did while baking another cake.  

I got to putting the cake together, cutting  and carving; 

And then covering it with dark chocolate ganache, yummy!!!  Decided on using ganache against buttercream as ganache  is heavy and dense which would help covering the cake with fondant. 



Working quickly on the lens,  I covered the body with black fondant which looked grey and did not make the cake look like a camer. Now you see why I don't like black fondant. I then painted the fondant black. 


After securing the lens in place I worked on the details which took more time than expected. 


Finished the cake just in time.... I nearly spent the whole day decorating this cake for the love of my life.  Guess what, he loved it. 

After taking pictures of the cake, singing,wishing, hugs n kisses he cut his Nikon Cake and helped himself to a big slice... Afteralll it was his birthday!!!! 


I was happy with the way the cake had turned out. Also want to thank Erika for encouraging me all the way and for keeping the surprise a surprise.   

Bravo!!!! Have a Nikon Cake. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bebinca