Monday, July 14, 2014

Jewel in the crown - cake

A friend of ours sent me this picture....saying "what say amazing cake", and I sprang to the opportunity, which otherwise was on my low priority "to do" list.


I looked up the tutorial and decided to make it a weekend project as it involved baking two cakes with cooling time between the two. 

I decided to bake  my cake from scratch and not to use the cake mix as I have never used cake mix. After coloring the batter which I did in individual bowls, I realized that I should have poured the batter into the measuring cup, colored it one at a time and then poured it out into the zipper bag. 


A cup of Pink, blue, yellow, green and orange cake batter ready to be strewned into the cake pan to give it a tie-dye effect. 


This is the fun part and the most agonizing part too. Piping out the batter from the zipper bag after snipping a small corner was painstaking and pretty messy. At a point I had batter coming out from both ends of the zipper bag making it very messy. My fingers went numb piping the batter and my brain went numb having to remind myself that I need to pipe a little of each color to achieve the tie-dye effect. 

It took a little less than 30 minutes to color and pipe out the cake batter into the pan, while otherwise it would take only 1 minute to pour the batter into the pan. And It took exactly 70 mins to bake. 


Gorgeous looking colorful cake. Felt like eating it right away. Left it overnight on the rack to cool.

The next day I cut the cake into 1 inch slices and cut out hearts using a heart shaped cutter. Placed them in the frezzer for about 4 hours.


I prepared the cake batter for the second cake. Poured a cup full of batter into the pan and lined up the frozen heart shaped cake in the middle of the cake pan, then filled in the sides and covered the top with batter. The pan was a little more than 3/4 filled and I had my doubts so I let go some of the batter so that the batter would not overflow while baking.      



It took 90 minutes to bake and there was this huge mountain in the middle which was taking a lot of time to bake. I was worried about the sides getting burnt, but that did not happen. Pulled out the cake from the oven and tossed it on the rack to cool.

When the cake had cooled and it was time to cut through I was trembling and felt like I was competing in Masterchief. Had to do what I had to do and ta da....

Oh!!! the hearts had risen.....and i missed a heart beat...I knew what had happened, but then that is not what should happen, so what should be done so that it does not happen?????????  too many questions on my mind.. 


I looked for more tutorials and found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=jBoqh8M8ltU&app=desktop I will follow this tutorial the next time I make this cake.

My cake earned its name "jewel in the crown". Hudson, who inspired me to bake the cake named the cake so, to cheer me up.  I am sure going to try it out again....

1 comment:

  1. I had seen the same cake and wondered how it was made. You are very clever. Thanks. Rani

    ReplyDelete

Bebinca