Friday, June 27, 2014

Dal Makhani

The king of Dal...


I always thought Dal Makhani was made using a lot of butter... (makhan means butter) and that it got its rich and creamy texture from the butter.  I was also of the opinion that Dal Makhani was a dish reserved for the kings of India and was served in palaces only. When I first had Dal Makhani at Hotel Crowne Plaza, I thought it was a dish served in 5 star hotels only, and yes after eating it I was convinced that its a dish meant for kings and only chef's of 5 star hotels could prepare it.

Little did I know that Dal Makhani is a staple dish of Punjab, and that butter is not the ingredient that gives it its rich and creamy texture and taste. A couple of days ago a member on Chef at Large FB group posted a very tempting  picture of Dal Makhani which she had prepared for her guest, and posted the recipe link too.

Now was my chance to make Dal Makhani at home. So I went to the link 
and read the recipe for the first time. Oh, what is black urad dal, never heard of it, never seen it.... for a person like me who loves dal. Okay, I needed to find this main ingredient and I was right in going to an Indian bakala (grocery shop) where I picked up all the other ingredients too and headed home to soak the dal and kidney beans. I felt like royalty while preparing the Dal Makhani. I learnt that it is the tomato puree and thick cream that gives it its rich and creamy texture and I learnt that it can be prepared at home by almost anyone.

Here's my take on the Dal Makhani.  I made some rotis to go with the it, though it can be served with rice, jeera rice and naan.


Everyone enjoyed it. It was lip smacking, finger licking Dal Makhani. 

While still researching on Dal Makhani, I learnt that though a staple food of Punjab it is a dish prepared at weddings, birthdays and important events, and what makes its special is its traditional way of cooking the dish. 

Dal Makhani, King of Dal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bebinca